Acne is nobody’s best friend, but the skin condition can be a downright enemy for those who struggle with cystic breakouts and have the acne scars to prove it. But unlike a comic book villain with mystical magic, you can defeat acne and the side effects of its treatments. Maintaining your skin post-Accutane is easy with the right dermatologist approved, super-powered skincare.
What Makes Post-Accutane Skincare Different?
First, let’s get one thing straight — “Accutane” is an obsolete brand name for the drug isotretinoin that helps treat acne.
Caring for your skin post acne treatment is different than polishing an untouched surface, especially when those treatments are as harsh as Accutane. To support your newly sensitive skin, your skincare routine needs to be as gentle with your face as it is protective.
What Is Accutane?
Accutane is a prescription acne treatment designed to clear acne-prone skin of cystic acne, also known as nodular acne. However, this treatment is used for more than just taming your pesky pimples.
Dermatologists generally only recommend Accutane when no other acne treatments — like the common over-the-counter benzoyl peroxide solutions — have been successful.
Available as an oral pill or topical lotion, Accutane is made from a retinoid called isotretinoin. Because isotretinoin is chemically similar to retinol, these vitamin a-derivatives have some of the same effects: both treatments can reduce the frequency of breakouts as well as the inflammation associated with them. For users with severe acne, Accutane treatments can be a game changer.
Though Accutane is extremely effective in clearing skin of cystic acne, it is an abrasive treatment that can leave your skin with some specific skincare needs. A run-of-the-mill routine with generic products and ingredients will no longer have everything you need to support your skin. To maintain healthy skin post-Accutane, you must be diligent with the quality of your skincare routine.
How Should I Boost My Skincare Routine After Accutane?
Before you can start to add new steps to your routine, you need to make sure your current skincare products are effective for your post-Accutane skin. To give your skin the best treatment possible, start your post-Accutane skincare routine by swapping out the products you’re already using for some healthy alternatives inspired by nature.
Choose the Right Cleanser
Your skincare routine should start with a natural cleanser.
After a long day, buildup can develop on the surface of your skin. To remove these dead skin cells, excess oils, and remaining makeup residue, cleansers wash away the weight of the day. But some cleansers and alkaloid-based soaps are abrasive in their makeup, often stripping the skin of both the good and the bad oils at once. These skincare products can irritate your post-Accutane skin.
To achieve a quality clean without sacrificing your skin, look for skincare products that rely on natural ingredients instead of harsh chemicals. The right face wash will clear skin of excess oils and buildup while remaining gentle.
Our Micellar Cleansing Essence is made with organic olives, olive leaf water, and five other wild-foraged plants. A cleanser and toner in one, this natural solution will sweep away impurities and purify skin in one simple step. With a gentle brightening effect on all skin types, this product makes a great first step in your post-Accutane skincare routine.
Use Plenty of Moisturizer
After removing dirt and buildup from your face, it’s important to reintroduce healthy oils to your skin. Without them, dryness can develop and cause problems for your acne-prone skin. There are several ways to do this, but here are some of our favorites.
- Moisturizing face oils: Even the gentlest cleansers will take away some of the healthy oils from your skin, so it’s important to reintroduce them. Leaning on the power of olive oil and vitamin C, our Biphase Moisturizing Oil replenishes your skin with the natural moisture it needs to thrive. And with the additional support of organic fruits like grape vines and blackberries, this face oil offers a double dose of hydration that will support your sensitive skin.
- Soothing balms: Hydration and nourishment go hand in hand, so why not seek a skincare product that accomplishes both goals at one time. Promote healthy skin both during and after Accutane with our Replenishing Balm, which is proven to soften, illuminate, and envelope skin in moisture. Made with wild-foraged carrots filled to the brim with vitamins a, b, and c, this hydrating balm can support even the most severe dry skin.
- Morning and night creams: For first-time skincare users looking to build a stronger routine for their post-Accutane skin, try our Day and Night Cream set. With natural ingredients like microalgae and bakuchiol, this skincare product will hydrate and repair skin at the same time. For people focused on renewal in their developing skincare routines, incorporate these dual creams, which can help reduce the look of acne scars and brighten dark spots on your post-Accutane skin.
We performed a Consumer Study including 30 participants using Isotretinoin who were experiencing the side effects of severely dry skin. Each participant used the Balm 3x per day or as frequently as needed throughout the day on the face and lips over a 30-day period and had outstanding results:
- 100% of users said Replenishing Balm helps moisturize skin
- 96% of users said Replenishing Balm soothes chapped lips
- 92% of users said Replenishing Balm makes my skin feel better
Add Acne Spot Treatments as Needed
Once you have strengthened the products in your daily skincare routine, there are a few additional steps you should integrate each morning and night to maintain your post-Accutane skin. The most important of these steps is acne spot treatments.
Even Accutane cannot rid your skin of breakouts permanently. While the treatment is certainly powerful, it is not magical. For those with especially oily skin, it’s important to stay on top of developing pimples and treat them before they become severe.
While upholding a supportive skincare routine can go a long way in supporting healthy skin, acne spot treatments can be extremely effective in maintaining clear skin. Available as patches, peels, and creams, spot treatments are common.
When selecting the right product for yourself, remember to prioritize natural ingredients for your acne spot treatments. Plant-based oils like jojoba and olive will build a product that is as great for your skin as it is for the environment.
Maintaining Clear Skin After Accutane Treatments
Just because you have struggled with acne does not mean that breakouts and blemishes have to be a part of your future. And just because you have undergone Accutane treatments does not mean you are stuck dealing with its consequences for your skin. Maintaining clear, healthy skin after treatment is possible with the right post-Accutane skincare routine.